Scott Rickman’s practice is focused on representing lenders in foreclosure cases, bankruptcy matters, loan restructures, commercial collections and lender liability defense. Scott is known for his almost constant availability to his clients and his high level of responsiveness to their needs. He is a shareholder, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and managing director of Morgan Pottinger McGarvey’s Lexington office. Best Lawyers in America® named him the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lexington.
Areas of Practice
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Kentucky
- J.D., University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky, 1984
- B.S., University of Tennessee, Martin, Tennessee, 1981
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Real Estate, 2020-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law, 2016-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation - Real Estate in Lexington, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lexington, 2019
- Super Lawyers®, Kentucky, Category: Creditor Debtor Rights, 2017-present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Has consistently represented lenders for more than 30 years in foreclosure cases involving shopping centers, hotels, apartment complexes, farms and other commercial real estate, including a successful result in a highly-contested $30 million case on behalf of a large national bank involving several state office buildings.
- Has represented secured creditors in chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcy cases during the entirety of his career and has defended lenders in adversary proceedings brought by trustees seeking recovery of preferential and fraudulent transfers.
- Has extensively employed receivership laws to obtain recoveries from revenue-generating distressed real estate.
- Has devised creative ways to utilize pre-judgement and post-judgement remedies to achieve desired results for clients.
- Has assisted with obtaining possession of almost every type of personal property collateral known to secured creditors, including heavy equipment, vehicles, boats, mobile homes, horses and intangibles.
- Has dealt with particularized problems concerning recovery of inventory and collection of accounts receivables held as collateral.
- Has successfully defended lender liability claims at the trial court level as well as on appeal.
- Has actually squeezed blood out of a turnip.
In the News
Morgan Pottinger McGarvey is pleased to announce that several of the firm’s attorneys have been named 2024 Kentucky Super Lawyers®, …
Best Lawyers in America® has named John McGarvey “Lawyer of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and …
Morgan Pottinger McGarvey is pleased to announce that several of the firm’s attorneys have been named 2023 Kentucky Super …
Scott and his wife Carol compensate for the kids being out of the nest by spending time with the dogs and bicycling around town. Scott also participates in half-marathons during those increasingly rare periods of being free from running injuries.